For home chefs determined to create a menu that not only honors this significant occasion but dazzles tastebuds, Pereg Natural Foods recommends starting with quality ingredients and complimenting some traditional holiday recipes with some new modern twists. Pereg makes it easy with a variety of all-natural spices, ancient grains, gluten free flours and quinoa products, all certified OU and CRC kosher, always sourced from the best places on earth.
About Pereg Natural Foods:
Established in 1906 and based in Clifton, NJ, Pereg Natural Foods (www.pereg-gourmet) is a leading producer of premium ancient grains, gluten-free flours, and more than 100 natural spices and spice blends from around the world. They manufacture all their products with a sharp eye on the quality of the ingredients from the sourcing until the product is packed and ready for the consumer.
Pereg Natural Foods products are available at select retailers throughout the US and Canada, and on their website, www.pereg-gourmet.com. Follow Pereg Natural Foods on all social platforms @peregnatural
Adding to Pereg Natural Foods’ robust range of products is a new Best for Challah Flour Mix. A pre-sifted flour mix already includes yeast, sugar, and salt is the easiest way to have fresh challah in under 3 hours – just add water and knead. The vegan mix creates a pillowy dough that is fantastic with just water and baked as instructed on the package, topped with some Pereg Sesame Seeds, Zahtar, or elevated into this delectable apple & honey filled version detailed below.
Combining two of the scrumptious traditions enjoyed on Rosh Hashana, round challah and apples dipped in honey, this show stopping recipe that can be enjoyed with your meal or served as a dessert. For more recipes and cooking ideas for the Jewish New Year and all year long, visit www.pereg-gourmet.com
Apple Honey Challah Recipe
- 1 bag of Pereg Best for Challah Flour
- 2 ¼ cups water
- 3 granny smith apples, diced into 1/8 to ¼” cubes (about 5 cups)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 4 Tbsp Pereg Ground Cinnamon
- 4 Tbsp Honey, divided
- 1 egg (optional, for shiny crust)
- In a large bowl or stand mixer with a dough hook, combine the whole bag of Pereg Challah Mix and 2 ¼ cups water. Mix by hand or on medium speed for 7-10 minutes, until dough is smooth and elastic (if still sticky need to knead longer.) Let dough rest for 15 minutes.
- Punch down dough and knead again for 3-5 minutes. Transfer to a greased bowl and let rise for 15 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal parts and roll each into a ball. Cover with plastic wrap or damp towel and allow to rise for another 15 minutes.
- Dice the 3 granny smith apples into 1/8” to ¼” cubes and toss in lemon juice, 3 Tbsp of honey, and 4 Tbsp of cinnamon, set aside.
- Start with 1 of the prepared balls of dough, keeping the remaining balls covered with a damp towel. Roll the ball into a long rope, on a lightly greased surface flatten into a 26 x 4” rectangle. Fill center of rectangle with 1 to 1 ½ cup of apple mixture then wrap sides up to enclose the apple filling in the center, pinching the edges as you go. (Don’t worry if the dough rips a little, just press the apple filling back inside and pinch dough together.) Carefully set the filled roll aside.
- Repeat process to fill the remaining 3 balls of dough with apple mixture, trying to keep them all the same length. Once you have all 4 strands of challah filled with apple filling take 2 and align the seams together and twist them into a spiral forming a beehive-like round loaf. Repeat the process to form the second loaf. Carefully place the challahs on parchment lined baking sheets. Let rest for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a small bowl whisk 1 egg with 1 Tbsp of water and brush over the challah loaves.
- Bake on middle rack for 35-45 minutes, or until the challah has a nice golden-brown crust.
- In a small bowl whisk remaining 1 Tbsp honey with 1 Tbsp warm water and brush over the challah fresh from the oven.
- Transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool before enjoying.
You can purchase on Pereg’s Website and Amazon.
Stay socially connected with Pereg Natural Foods:
We have added Pereg Natural Foods to our 2021 Holiday Gift Guide
The post Pereg Challah Mix and Seasonings Makes The Holidays A Bit Sweeter appeared first on It's Free At Last.