Every year I try to come up with something a little different to put on the Thanksgiving table.
A spin on holiday favorites that people can look forward to the coming year.
This year I decided it would be the macaroni and cheese that would get a festive makeover and boy, it did not disappoint!
Sweet dried cranberries mixed into a creamy white cheddar sauce and sprinkled with herbs. Not only is this dish beautiful to see on the table, its flavors are everything we know and love about the holiday season!
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
- 1 package pasta shells
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups whole milk
- 4 cups shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups dried cranberries
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh Italian parsley
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain; return to pot.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour and dry seasonings until smooth; gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a low boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 6-8 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir in cheeses until melted.
- Add to pasta
- Add dried cranberries, and fresh herbs; toss to coat.
*optional: add mac and cheese to buttered baking dish, top with breadcrumbs to finish in oven if preferred.
Creamy, sweet, salty, and earthythis mac and cheese is going to be a hit on our holiday table!
I hope you love it too.
Talk to you soon friends; take care!