Hey there foodies happy Monday! I hope you all had a fantastic weekend and are all ready to take on this week with stride. Speaking of this week, Thanksgiving is on Thursday!!! Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday and I am very excited to celebrate with the ones I love and the food I love. I figured while there is still time to sneak in some food shopping, I would share my absolute favorite Mac-n-Cheese recipe! It took me a few tries to perfect it but now it is perfect and would make a great addition to your holiday table.
What you need:
- 1 16oz box Elbow pasta
- 2 7oz wheels smoked Gouda cheese, cubed or shredded
- 1 8oz bag Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 1/2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- Bring to boil a large pot of water (around 5-6 cups) and add pasta. Cook until noodles are tender. Drain noodles but do not rinse.
- In a sauce pan: melt butter and sprinkle in flour. Mix together to create a roux (This helps thicken the cheese sauce).
- In same pan add in milk, black pepper and salt.
- Occasionally stir until milk starts to thicken. You can tell its thick by placing a spoon into mixture and milk will stick to the back of the spoon.
- Cube or shredded Gouda cheese
- Add Gouda cheese and half a bag of Cheddar to thicken milk and stir. At this time take the sauce off the heat and stir until cheese melts.
- Pour cheese sauce over cooked pasta and mix well.
- Pour into an oven safe dish, top second half of cheddar cheese on top and bake in the oven on 375 for 15-20 minutes
- Let cool and enjoy!