Chicken breast recipes can be so dull but not this one! Cream and lemon are a luscious combination and is sensationalserved over crispy pan fried chicken. Aquick andeasy10 minute recipe with fewingredients,serve this Creamy Lemon Chicken with pasta, mashed potato or for a low carb option, creamy cauliflower mash!
Chicken Breast Recipe
I was browsing my Instagramfeedthe other day, and all I could think was its soyellow and orangey. I shared this observation with my mother, and her response was Well, of course. You post so many cheesy bread, potatoes and meat. Everything you like is yellow and brown. EvenDozeris yellow. (Imagine this with a Japanese accent and finished with a snort of laughter).
I had no smart comeback for that. Because its completely true.
So one of my (many) New Years resolutions will be (yet again) to post moregreen foods on RecipeTin Eats.
But for now more yellow food.
In fact, a whole skillet of yellow food.
Heres all you need for this creamy lemon chicken breast
- Chicken breast or boneless skinless thigh
- Chicken broth/stock gives the sauce flavour (its pretty dull without it)
- Cream and lemon because were making acreamy lemon sauce
- Parmesan forumami AND to help thicken the sauce
- Mustard sauce thickening and extra flavour/tang
- Flour to dust chicken (gives it a crust that the sauce wants to cling to, optional)
- Garlic because garlic goes in 99% of my savoury foods
- Butter because butter makes everything better
How to make creamy lemon chicken breast
Youre 10 minutes away from having this for dinner! Heres how it goes down:
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper, dust with flour;
- Pan fry until golden then remove
- Add everything else in, then simmer for 3 minutes until thickened;
- Return chicken into skillet to rewarm; and
- Serve over pasta, mashed potato or for a low carb option, Creamy Mashed Cauliflower.
Theres plenty of creamy lemon sauce for this chicken breast recipe. Enough to toss through pasta!
What to serve with Creamy Lemon Chicken
Also, some warm bread rolls to mop the plate clean wouldnt go astray! If youre in the mood for homemade bread, try these easy No Knead Soft Dinner Rolls or this simple Irish Soda Bread (I call it Emergency Bread!).
Watch how to make it
Creamy Lemon Chicken Breast
Recipe video above. Cream and lemon is a luscious combination and is stellar served over crispy chicken! It's super easy and fast to make, and the sauce is absolutely to die for. A little dusting of flour creates a terrific crispy coating on the chicken and gives the sauce something to cling to.
- 600g / 1.2lb chicken breasts (2 large) ((Note 1))
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Black pepper
- 1/4 cup (35g) flour
- 3 tbsp (40g) butter (, unsalted)
- 1 2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth/stock
- 3/4 cup cream (, heavy/thickened (Note 2))
- 3 4 tbsp lemon juice (adjust to taste, start with 3 tbsp)
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 3/4 cup (75g) parmesan cheese (, freshly grated OR store bought finely shredded (Note 3))
- Pasta of choice ((I used linguine))
- Finely chopped parsley
- Slice chicken breast horizontally to create two thin steaks (so you end up with 4 thin steaks in total).
- Sprinkle each side with salt and pepper, then coat with flour, shaking off excess.
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Cook chicken 2 minutes on each side until golden and crispy, then remove onto plate.
Add a touch of butter if your pan is dry but you shouldn't need it. Add garlic, stir 10 seconds.
Then add chicken broth, cream, lemon and Dijon mustard. Bring to simmer and scrape the bottom of the pan to dissolve brown bits into the liquid. Use a whisk if needed to dissolve mustard.
Add parmesan then simmer rapidly for 3 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly. Add salt, pepper and adjust lemon to taste.
Return the chicken to the pan (pour in any juices on the plate too), turn to coat.
Place chicken on serving plates with pasta or mashed potatoes. Sprinkle with fresh parsley if using. Spoon over Lemon Sauce and serve! (Bread for mopping wouldn't go astray either)
1. Chicken use 2 large breasts split in half, or 4 small ones around 150g/5oz each and pound with fist to about 1.5cm / 1/2 even thickness.
You can purchase chicken breast steaks here in Australia at supermarkets and butchers. Sometimes they are labelled chicken schnitzel (but no crumbs, just thin slices of chicken).
2. Cream light cream wont thicken as much. To decrease fat, better to use evaporated milk!
3. Parmesan must use either finely grated yourself OR the store bought finely shredded ie very fine thin strands. Do not use store bought sandy-like parmesan, it just doesnt dissolve as well.
4. Nutrition per serving for chicken and all the sauce, assuming 4 servings.
Originally published January 2016, updated with new photos and video in November 2019.
Life of Dozer
In the big fancy house Im currently housesitting while Im in between houses when he gets fed up following me up and down the stairs, he parks himself halfway!!