An Easy Asian-Fusion Pasta Recipe
This recipe was inspired by a traditional Cantonese noodle dish called Beef Chow Fun, which means beef stir fry noodles. In the traditional Cantonese dish, the Beef Chow Fun is stir-fried with flat-wide rice noodles, scallions, onion, beef slices, and soy sauce. With a similar concept, how would it taste like if the stir fry method was used in pasta? They are both noodles, right?
Having this in mind, I came up with this idea to use tomato, beef, and onion to stir fry with pasta. I also really love the spicy kick in the traditional Fra Diavolo Sauce, so I added red pepper flakes in the recipe to give it a hint of spice!
Picking the Beef
The secret of a successful stir fry is to choose the good quality meat. The right kind of meat can give the right texture and flavor to the dish. For the beef slices, I recommend using top blade beef shoulder. The top blade is cut from the shoulder muscle. It has a tender texture, it is flavorful and juicy. I like to use it for stir fry because it is not easy to get tough and dry.
Marinating the Beef
For stir fry beef, the go-to marinate is salt, pepper, onion powder, and rub with olive oil. If the beef you have is not high quality, that’s ok. You can add a pinch of baking soda to the beef. The baking soda will tenderize the cheaper cut of beef and give it a better texture.
Beef Tomato Stir Fry Pasta
- Servings: 2
- Difficulty: Easy
- Rating: ★★★★★
An Asian fusion stir fry pasta, perfect for weeknight dinner
- Pasta (about 4oz)
- Sliced beef
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 5 tomatoes (diced)
- 1 onion (sliced)
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- A dash of red pepper flakes
- Salt & pepper to taste
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- Season the beef slices with salt, pepper, and onion powder. Rub with olive oil
- In a frying pan, over high heat, add some olive oil, pan sear the beef slices until browned
- When the beef is half done, set it aside for later
- In the meanwhile, boil hot water in a pot and cook the pasta until done
- In the same pan, over medium heat, add olive oil to the pan
- Fry garlic, tomato, and onion in the pan
- Add salt to the pan and slowly simmer
- Add red pepper flakes to the sauce
- Mix and fry the beef and pasta with the sauce in the pan
- Add soy sauce to the pasta and stir fry all the ingredients
Follow me on: