Trust me, this Vegan White Sauce (Bechamel) will not disappoint! It is SO easy to make with no cooking required! Requiring simple ingredients you are likely to already have on hand, this easy cashew cheese recipe takes only two steps and is done in under 5 minutes! Plus, it tastes absolutely delicious!
Recipe Difficulty – Very Easy!
Did you think you couldn’t make vegan bechamel that is also gluten-free? Think again! While the original recipe has dairy products and flour, it is possible to make a vegan gluten-free version! Non-dairy milk replaces the regular milk. Rather than using gluten free alternatives for flour, I’ve got a combination of ingredients that make this creamy pasta sauce perfect! I guarantee this will become a staple in your household and one that is sure to impress your family and friends!
When I imagine many of my favourite meals, they include a delicious sauce. My favourite thing about this sauce is how versatile it is! This bechemal sauce was originally inspired by my Vegan Lasagne and my Ultimate Vegan Moussaka both of which pair really well with my amazing Gluten Free Focaccia.[feast_advanced_jump_to]
Ingredients to make Vegan White Sauce
- Cashews – are the hero ingredient in so many vegan recipes! They give a deliciously cheesy texture and taste to this creamy white sauce.
- Nutritional Yeast – is great for flavour, texture, and added protein in this vegan white sauce.
- Dried Basil – is a fabulous addition to many sauces, including this one!
- Clove of Garlic – Garlic is one of my favourite flavours to add into my dishes. It adds a subtle acidity that cuts through the creamy white sauce
- Unsweetened Almond Milk – While I use almond milk, you can use any unsweetened type of plant-based milk.
- Olive Oil – adds a delicious flavour and body to this dairy free white sauce.
See recipe card at the bottom of this page for quantities.
How to make Vegan White Sauce
Firstly, combine all of the ingredients into a small blender.
Blend ingredients until smooth. This usually takes just a couple of minutes.
Hint: If you don’t have a high-speed blender, soak the raw cashews in hot water for ten minutes. Then drain and add the soaked cashews to the rest of the ingredients and blend.
- Nutritional Yeast – This is the main ingredient to this vegan béchamel sauce, but you could use 100g grated cheese instead.
- Unsweetened Almond Milk – Any dairy-free milk will work here as long as it is unsweetened milk. You could use soy milk, oat milk, cashew milk, coconut milk, or any other plant milk.
- Olive Oil – Other neutral oils such as sunflower will also work in place of olive oil.
- Garlic – Although fresh garlic has a better flavour, garlic powder will do if needed.
- Seasonings – One of the great things about this cashew sauce is that it is a very basic recipe. Because of that, you can add whatever flavours you need to meet your needs! You could try a pinch of nutmeg, white pepper, lemon juice, vegan parmesan cheese, etc.
- Spicy – This cashew cheese sauce is a perfect base to build off of! Add some red chilli pepper flakes for a nice kick! This is delicious when adding to gluten free pasta
- Deluxe – This basic white sauce can be used for so many different recipes! One great deluxe option is my Gluten Free & Vegan Lasagne. It makes the perfect vegan lasagne white sauce.
- Kid friendly – You could use this vegan béchamel sauce as a base for a vegan white pizza or as the sauce for some Vegan Mac & Cheese.
This vegan version of a classic white sauce stores great! You can store this vegan white sauce it in a jar or another airtight container for 4-5 days in the fridge. You could also freeze it for up to three months.
Yes! Make sure it has cooled and then store it in a jar or another airtight container. You could save it in smaller containers to pull out for the different recipes you use.
There are so many great options! A simple vegan bechamel sauce recipe goes great on most pasta dishes or in pasta bakes. It’s especially good in a vegan lasagna! It makes a great white pizza sauce. Anytime you’d use a traditional white sauce, you can replace it with a vegan version.
Bechamel sauce is one of the main ingredients of French cuisine. A white sauce recipe is typically made up of all purpose flour, milk, butter, and some seasonings. It’s mixed in a medium saucepan where you melt butter and turn it into a white roux.
While bechamel or white sauce is usually made from a flour mixture (roux) and cream, alfredo sauce has more to it. Alfredo is a richer sauce with a very creamy texture. It’s made of heavy cream, parmesan cheese, and butter.
Are you ready to try this delicious recipe?! I am so excited to hear what you think.
Tried this recipe? Please leave a star rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ below and let me know how you get on. Hearing positive feedback is one of the best parts of creating recipes so please review it below and leave a comment!
P.S Never miss a new recipe! Get more healthy recipes sent straight to your inbox weekly – Subscribe and receive a free recipe eBook!
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE…
Vegan White Sauce (Béchamel)
- 1 Blender
- 200 g cashews (if you don't have a strong blender, you would need to soak these in hot water for 10 minutes before)
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 pinch salt
- 4 pinch pepper
- 200 ml unsweetened almond milk I used almond
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Firstly, add all of the ingredients into a small blender
- Then, blend until smooth (roughly 2 minutes)