Whip this Vegan Honey Mustard Dressing up in just minutes with a few simple ingredients. It’s a great dipping sauce, vegan salad dressing, or sauce to add to your weekly meal prep. You won’t be able to resist this sweet, tangy flavor!
Traditional honey mustard is a classic many of us grew up with, so it was time to add an easy vegan version to the blog. Below we’ve shared several substitutions you can make to suit your personal preference and pantry. Now let’s get prepping!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Vegan mayonnaise: We typically purchase vegan mayonnaise from Follow Your Heart, but several options are available in large grocery chains today. If your store doesn’t carry Follow Your Heart, search for other vegan-friendly brands such as Chosen Foods, Just Mayo, Hellman’s, Best Foods, Sir Kensington’s, and Primal Kitchen. Most vegan-friendly mayos will say so on the front of the label but always read the ingredients for added eggs.
- Whipped garlic spread: Adds a delicious garlicky kick to the sweet and savory dressing. We find using a whipped garlic spread so much more flavorful than garlic powder and highly recommend it!
- Mustard: For the best flavor, use a combination of Dijon mustard and yellow mustard. Dijon mustard is one of those surprising foods that aren’t always vegan-friendly because of how it’s processed. To ensure your vegan honey mustard is vegan, opt for organic Dijon mustard or check out this Helpful List of Vegan Dijon Mustard brands!
- Vegan honey: Real honey isn’t vegan, but vegan-friendly honey exists! Try one of these 5 Vegan Honey Brands to Buy or make your own from scratch using this Vegan Honey Recipe from our friend, Michelle. As a last resort, you can swap the vegan honey with another liquid sweetener such as agave nectar, brown rice syrup, or even pure maple syrup for a bolder flavor profile.
- Apple cider vinegar: A small splash of apple cider vinegar brightens up the tangy dressing and balances the flavor. If necessary, opt for white vinegar or lemon juice.
- Spices: A simple blend of onion powder, paprika, sea salt, and black pepper is all you need.
How to Make Vegan Honey Mustard Dressing
- Add ingredients to a mixing bowl. In a small mixing bowl, add all of the ingredients and whisk until smooth and combined.
- Enjoy. Enjoy immediately, or place in the fridge until chilled.
Vegan honey mustard sauce is just about as versatile as our Vegan Ranch Dressing recipe. You can use it as a dip, salad dressing, spread, and more. Here are a few of our favorite ways to use it to get you brainstorming!
- As a creamy salad dressing: Elevate your favorite salads with a drizzle of this delicious dressing and Vegan Feta Cheese, 5-Ingredient Croutons, and Grilled Romaine Lettuce. You can even use it as a dressing on your favorite pasta salad recipes like this Fall Pasta Salad!
- As a dip: Perhaps our favorite way to indulge in this creamy vegan honey mustard dressing. You can’t go wrong dunking our Vegan Chicken Nuggets, Beer Battered Onion Rings, Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts Chips, Kid-Friendly Baked Vegetable Tots, Simple Roasted Vegetables, or classic sweet potato fries!
- As a spread: Jazz up your next veggie burger or vegan sandwich with honey mustard. Try it with our Vegan Black Bean Burgers, Grillable Veggie Burgers, or these Grilled Portobello Mushroom Burgers. Or, spread it on Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread with our favorite Homemade Vegan Deli Meat and make yourself an epic sandwich!
Leftover dressing will keep for up to 1 week in the refrigerator when stored in an airtight container such as a mason jar or squeeze bottle for easy drizzling. We wouldn’t recommend freezing this creamy dressing – mayonnaise-based dressings change texture and consistency and, upon thawing, will become grainy. As written, this recipe makes about 1 cup of dressing. Feel free to adjust the recipe depending on your needs and how much you think you’ll be able to use up in 1 week.
Yes! If you are oil-free, replace the oil-based vegan mayonnaise with an oil-free mayonnaise. Try our personal favorite Oil-Free Vegan Mayonnaise recipe from our friend, Caitlin!
Vegan diets and lifestyles avoid using products that are made from animals or animal by-products. Because honey is made by bees, a living animal, it is not vegan. Lucky, vegan honey alternative options are abundant and easy to swap without sacrificing flavor!
No, Chick-Fil-A honey mustard is not vegan because it is made with bee honey. Almost all restaurants will not serve vegan-friendly honey mustard, so make your own at home with this super easy recipe!
More Vegan Dressing and Sauce Recipes You May Enjoy:
- Vegan Big Mac Sauce – pair this game-changing sauce with your next veggie burger.
- Vegan Chipotle Sauce – adds a zesty kick to burritos, tacos, nachos, and more.
- Vegan Ranch Dressing – a classic we love making for weekly meal prep.
- Vegan Nacho Cheese – the BEST nacho cheese made from healthy, whole foods ingredients.
- Roasted Red Pepper Pasta Sauce – a creamy, protein-packed pasta sauce you’ll love!