By Taylor Dowd
Few foods make for a better autumn meal than this vegetable soup. Its low cost, great flavor and versatility make it a staple in my home. The assortment of veggies allows for a nutrient-dense meal suitable for a variety of diets. With fresh veggies, a good knife and some aromatic spices, a delicious comfort meal is just a couple hours away!
- This recipe includes homemade broth, the base of the soup, made by saving the scraps and peels from preparing onions, celery and carrots. On a time crunch? Substitute store-bought broth for homemade.
- Using a food processor for chopping veggies helps cut down on preparation time. However, it will slightly change the texture of the finished soup.
- The soup can be modified to fit any dietary needs or personal preference. Replace any veggies with ones of your choosing. Swap pasta with rice or lentils, or add in heartier greens like spinach or kale for additional sources of vitamins and other nutrients. The listed recipe is dairy-free and meat-free.
- Any extra soup stores well in the refrigerator for about a week.
Hearty Vegetable Soup:
- Homemade (optional, see recipe below) or store-bought broth
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3-5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cups carrots, finely sliced
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- ¾ cup cooked corn kernels
- ¾ cup cooked peas
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¾ teaspoon onion powder
- ¾ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional for spicier soup)
- ½ pound orecchiette pasta
- Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for one minute, then add onion and stir.
- Cover pot with lid and stir occasionally until onions are translucent (about seven minutes).
- Meanwhile, in a separate pot, boil water for pasta. Cook orecchiette until al dente, then set aside.
- Add carrots and celery to cooked garlic and onion, then stir. Cover the pot again and cook until veggies soften (about 12 minutes).
- Pour in prepared broth. Add corn, peas and seasonings. Raise heat to medium-high. Stir occasionally and bring to a simmer (just below boiling point).
- Once soup has reached a simmer, reduce heat to low and cook an additional ten minutes.
- Add in cooked orecchiette and stir to combine. Turn off heat.
- Serve and enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Scraps from peeled vegetables (carrot peels, onion layers, celery ends)
- 10 cups water
- ¼ teaspoon black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, whole
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon rosemary
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium heat.
- Add garlic and cook for one minute, until fragrant.
- Add veggie scraps, stir and cook another minute.
- Pour in water and add seasonings. Cover with lid and increase heat to medium-high. Bring to boil.
- Once boiling, lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Strain broth over colander in a large glass bowl. Discard veggies. Set broth aside for later.