Cooking for Families
My Nanny Kids love pasta. But Im so tired of serving marinara sauce on pasta. Since my Nanny Family likes sweet sausage, I added the meat and some vegetables to a light wine sauce this week instead of serving a red sauce. The alcohol cooks off so no worries serving wine sauce to minors. To make it even healthier, opt for organic, whole grain pasta to add fiber, add whatever veggies you have in the fridge, and use lean turkey sausage instead of pork.
You Will Need:
1 Box Pasta
1 Package of Lean Sweet Sausage (remove casings and cut into bite-sized pieces)
1 Pint Grape Tomatoes
1 Package of Baby Spinach
2 or 3 Garlic Cloves, Crushed
1/2 Cup Dry White Wine or Vermouth
1/2 Cup Chicken Stock
2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Tablespoon Italian Seasoning
Shaved Parmesan Cheese
Pinch of Salt and Pepper
What to Do:
1. Cook pasta according to instructions.
2. Place chopped garlic and 1 tablespoon of olive oil in pan and let simmer for 1-2 minutes and low-medium heat. Add tomatoes and sautee for a few minutes until they get tender.
3. Add baby spinach and sautee a few more minutes until spinach is soft.
4. Sprinkle with italian seasonings and stir until blended.
5. Add wine and chicken stock, stir and lower heat. Let simmer for a few minutes.
6. While veggies are simmering, take out a grill pan and place 1 tablespoon olive oil. Grill sausages until no longer pink.
7. When pasta is done, remove from heat, drain and add to veggie mixture. Stir and remain on low heat. Add sliced sausage and stir until well blended.
8. Sprinkle parmesan on top.