This was the last recipe I cooked in our old kitchen (and on that stove I hate)! An easy, one-pot meal that made leftovers. Perfect for when you have to leave your husband at the house to demolish cupboards.
Yes, I packed up the boys and left for Grandma’s. My husband didn’t waste any time getting started. He got rid of those cupboards as fast as he could! He was so excited to start ripping things out.
Unfortunately, we had some hiccups this week with the design of the kitchen. Since the pantry is being built in we didn’t have exact measurements so some of our cabinets will have to be changed. An annoyance but at least it’s something that can be remedied.
I’m thankful we aren’t in the house while it’s happening. The mess and lack of kitchen would be too much for the boys (and me). So we are busy dropping crumbs, fingerprints and toys all over Grandma’s house!
Anyways, back to the recipe.
I’ve had this recipe for years and forgot about it. I pulled it out a few weeks ago and wow was it good! It’s quick and easy too. So I thought it would be a good “last meal.”
The recipe calls for chicken breast, which you cut and cook but you also can use precooked chicken or even leftover turkey! That makes it even faster if you need a weeknight meal.
It tastes best with fresh basil but you also can substitute dried if that’s what you have on hand.
Otherwise it comes together quickly, has nice flavour and is sure to please!
Parmesan Chicken Pasta
Original recipe from Campbells
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 1/2lbs chicken breast cut into 1 inch pieces*
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 can Cream of Chicken Soup
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen broccoli*
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup grated cheese (mozzarella or marble)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, torn or chopped
- Heat oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until browned. Add garlic and cook until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
- Stir in soup and broth; mix well. Stir in penne and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook uncovered for 15 minutes, or until pasta is done.
- Stir in peas and broccoli and cook until broccoli is thawed, penne tender and chicken cooked.
- Sprinkle with cheeses and basil. Serve.
- You also can use precooked chicken or even turkey. Simply toss it in the pan with the garlic for a few seconds then continue with the rest of the steps.
- You can omit the broccoli and add a cup of peas.
- Fresh basil is best but you can use 1 tsp of dried basil if need be.