Muffins are a great option for a quick + healthy breakfast when you dont have time to think about what to have!
They are perfect for meal prepping and also freeze really well. Especially if you freeze them soon after making them. A standard health muffin recipe can be easily adapted and is extremely versatile! No reason to get bored by eating the same flavour muffin every morning/ snacktime!
I have been making this recipe for a few years now, and it never lets me down. You can literally add any fruit of veg: apples; carrots; zucchini; banana or even sweet potato! A combo of them also works well. You can even make some of the mix with, for example, apple , some of it with a carrot + zucchini combo, and the rest with banana!
the deets (it makes roughly 12 muffins)
- 1,5 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk (plant-based or cows milk)
- 1/3 cup oil of choice (I usually use coconut oil, but canola oil would work just as well!)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup/ runny honey
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts (pecans/ almonds/ walnuts)
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1,5 cups of fruit/ veg
- 2 tbsp currants or raisins
- 1 tsp chia seeds soaked in some water
- dash of salt
- Preheat oven to 165C and prep a muffin tray.
- Whisk the dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the wet ingredients together.
- Mix everything together- make sure that everything is very well mixed!
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin tins. Sprinkle a dash of cinnamon and some crumbled nuts on top of each muffin.
- Bake at 165C for about 15-20 minutes. I usually set a timer for 15 minutes and then keep checking them every few minutes until they are cooked!
Another favourite muffin mix (that even my mom approves of!) is Donna Hays savoury muffin recipe with a few adjustments!
- 2,5 cups self-raising wheat flour
- 1 tbsp tomato pasta sauce/ relish
- 2- 2,5 cups of cooked baby spinach
- 1/2 finely diced onion, lightly pan-fried
- 1 cup grated mature cheddar
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- 1/2 red pepper, diced in chunks
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 2 eggs
- salt + pepper
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 180C and grease a muffin tray. This recipe makes 12 muffins.
- Place all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix everything together.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin tray.
- Cook for about 23 minutes, or until cooked through. I usually set a timer for 20 minutes, and then just see how long it takes :)
- They are BOMB served warm, with a light spread of butter! It melts into the muffin and is beyond delicious!