Recreate the magic of Luby’s Italian Chicken Breast with this easy copycat recipe! Enjoy tender chicken breast breaded with Italian seasoning and parmesan cheese and then fried to perfection. This dish offers a mouth-watering journey of flavors that will make any meal feel like a special occasion. It’s perfect for a family dinner, a date night, or a deliciously satisfying weeknight meal. Whether you’re a fan of Luby’s or just a chicken aficionado, this easy Italian chicken recipe is a must-try!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Why You Should Try This Italian-Style Chicken Breast
With this copycat Luby’s Italian chicken breast recipe, you can enjoy Luby’s at home without having to load up your kids and drive out to the restaurant.
This cheesy Italian chicken breast recipe is so easy – and it tastes great! It’s just a perfect way to serve boneless skinless chicken breasts. The chicken is so moist and tender that it’s sure to become a regular dinner in your house.
Cheese-Crusted Chicken – Ingredients You Will Need
Here’s your shopping list for making Italian-style chicken breasts. Some of these basics you will already have at hand.
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Mozzarella cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- Dry Italian salad dressing mix
- Dried parsley flakes
- Fresh parsley
- Vegetable oil
How to Make This Italian Chicken Breast Recipe
There’s nothing complicated about preparing Italian-style chicken breasts. Here are the steps:
- Combine the mozzarella and parmesan cheeses, flour, parsley flakes, and Italian dressing mix.
- Whisk together the milk and eggs in a separate bowl.
- Place flour in a third bowl.
- Coat the chicken with flour, dip it into the milk mixture, and then into the cheese mixture.
- Cook the chicken in a skillet for 5 to 6 minutes each side.
- Garnish with parmesan cheese and parsley (or other fresh herbs like oregano and thyme).
Recipe Notes and Tips
Pound your chicken breasts down to a thinness that will help them cook faster, about ½-inch. When you pound, you also tenderize, which means you’ll get a juicer chicken dinner.
How to Pound Chicken: Pat your chicken breast dry, place it in a large zip-top bag, and seal it after eliminating any air in the bag. Place on your poultry cutting board and pound with a meat mallet.
Puncture the chicken with a fork in a few places so the coating will penetrate.
To test if your chicken is fully cooked, cut a small part with a knife – the juices should run clear. If you want to use a food thermometer, the internal temperature of the chicken should reach 165 degrees F.
After cooking, let your chicken rest a bit before serving to allow the juices to redistribute.
When frying chicken in batches, keep it warm in the oven at the lowest heat setting.
You can use boneless, skinless chicken thighs instead of breasts. You’ll need to cook them a few minutes longer.
Italian Chicken Breast – What to Serve It With
There are endless sides and salads you can serve with this cheese-crusted chicken. Here are a few suggestions:
- Air Fryer Broccoli
- Garlic Bread
- Garlic Butter Pasta
- Garlic Green Beans
- Quinoa Salad
- Roasted Asparagus
- Roasted Baby Potatoes
You can also slice your chicken breasts and serve on salad, pasta, or pizza.
And, tuck leftovers into sandwiches or wraps for easy lunches!
How to Store Leftover Cheese-Crusted Chicken
Leftovers: Leftover cheesy Italian chicken will be fine in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Wrap it with plastic wrap or store it in an airtight container.
- Note: Leftover chicken is delicious at room temperature, served over a salad.
Reheat. Reheat the chicken gently in the microwave or in a nonstick skillet on the stovetop.
- Tip: Cut the leftover chicken into pieces first to help it reheat without drying out.
- Freeze: Freeze cooked chicken breasts in freezer-safe containers. It will last in the freezer for up to 4 months. Thaw it in the fridge overnight.
More Luby’s Copycat Recipes
Love Luby’s? Try these popular recipes for dishes at the cafeteria:
- Baked White Fish
- Baked Corn Casserole
- Beef Tortilla Soup
- Carrot Raisin Pineapple Salad
- Skillet Cabbage
- Spaghetti Salad
You can also get the Luby’s Cafeteria cookbook.
Popular Chicken Recipes
You can never have too many delicious chicken recipes, can you? Here are a few more for you to try:
- Cajun Chicken Pasta
- Chicken Croquettes
- Chicken Dijon
- Chicken Fried Chicken
- Cream Cheese Chicken
- Ritz Cracker Chicken
- Rosemary Chicken
Luby’s Cafeteria Italian Chicken Breast
- 3 cups flour divided use
- 5/6 cup grated Parmesan cheese divided use
- 1 pound shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup dried parsley flakes
- 1 package (0.7 ounces) dry Italian salad dressing mix
- 1 cup milk
- 2 extra-large eggs
- 4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley to garnish
- In a medium bowl, combine 2 cups of flour and 1/3 cup of Parmesan with the mozzarella, parsley flakes, and dressing mix. Mix well.
- Create a breading station by whisking the milk and eggs in a small bowl until well blended and placing the remaining 1 cup of flour in another shallow bowl.
- Coat the chicken with flour and shake off the excess. Then dip the chicken into the milk mixture followed by the cheese mixture, coating evenly and pressing the mixture into the chicken.
- Heat about 1/8 inch of oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook for 5 to 6 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Garnish with Parmesan and parsley.