by Ivanka @happyandfull_
Healthy Homemade Hamburger Helper (HHHH)
There are a million things that excite me about this meal but here are the main 3:
- It’s made in ONE pot
- 7 REAL /affordable ingredients + spices
- TASTES SO DAMN GOOD
This recipe is for 4 servings but actually turned into 3 because my husband couldn’t get enough! A sign of true victory!
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 3 cups dry pasta noodles (option to sub for brown rice, quinoa or chickpea noodles)
- 1 small onion diced
- 1.5 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 cups beef broth (option to sub for chicken or veg)
- 1 cup almond milk (option to sub for cow’s milk)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (option to sub for vegan cheese)
– 1 tsp paprika + 1 tsp garlic powder + sea salt + pepper + chili flakes (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a deep skillet; add diced onion & ground turkey; cook until no longer pink (~5 mins)
- Add spices + tomato paste & stir; cook for 2 more mins
- Add dry noodles, broth & almond milk; cook stirring often until the liquid has mainly dissolved (~15 mins)
- Stir in shredded cheese & serve!
Option to sneak in additional veggies like chopped bell pepper (add at the same time as dry noodles) or fresh spinach (add at the same time as cheese once you remove from heat)
Gracie: I made this easy and healthy recipe last night for dinner and my youngest ate two bowls and asked for it for breakfast this morning! I guess you could say it was a total success!
Confession: I used to love eating the packaged Hamburger Helper when I was a kid. My Mom never bought it but when I found out that my best friend’s Mom would, I asked to go over for dinner any chance I could get.
I don’t feel guilty eating this version at all! I did however, change the recipe a little, I used ground chicken instead of turkey and opted not to add the chili flakes because my kids think Coca Cola is spicy. Along side the one cup of cheddar, I added a cup of freshly grated parmesan cheese, because you can’t go wrong with cheese!
Other than those slight changes, I used vegetable broth instead of beef broth and I think the almond milk was a great touch to make it creamy and delicious. Yum!
This is going to a recipe on rotation! Thank Ivanka! Now, go and try it! I bet you won’t have leftovers!