Healthy baked macaroni with broccoli is an easy family casserole recipe. Made with whole wheat and low fat ingredients it’s delicious and healthy too!
Healthy baked macaroni with broccoli is made with whole wheat pasta, delicious broccoli, skimmed milk, Dijon mustard and low fat grated cheese.
This is a fantastic healthy homemade macaroni recipe but with added broccoli.
If you’re struggling to get your kids to eat their greens, this could easily sneak it into their dinner. Just leave out the Dijon mustard if you think that’s too strong for them.
I’ve largely based this recipe on one I did 5 years ago (OMG 5 years!).
You folks have loved my tuna macaroni bake so many times and seeing as this was a number of years ago I though it was time to bring a new updated vegetarian version with broccoli!
You’ll find this healthy macaroni cheese bake really simple to make.
It’s perfect if you’re short on time and just need a classic comforting healthy family meal on the dinner table quickly.
There are only 6 ingredients involved, just 10 minutes prep and no more than 30 minutes cooking time.
This healthy baked macaroni with broccoli recipe is great when you’re craving a pasta and cheese fix but not all the extra fat and calories you would find in traditional recipes.
Plus it’s only 264 calories per serving!
Tips For How To Make Healthy Baked Macaroni With Broccoli
- Get all of the ingredients assembled.
- If using frozen broccoli allow it to defrost completely first.
- To further minimise time make the cheese sauce whilst the macaroni is cooking.
- You can substitute the whole wheat macaroni with normal macaroni but the nutrition label will be invalid.
- Same with substituting the skimmed milk or low fat cheese for full fat versions.
- To make this recipe gluten free use gluten free pasta.
- You can freeze any leftovers. I suggest cutting any leftovers into individual portions and freezing them in containers.
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Popular Pasta Bake Recipes You Might Also Like
- Chicken broccoli stilton pasta bake is a delicious easy family meal. It’s relatively healthy, low cost and can be on the table in less than an hour.
- Vegetarian quorn pasta bolognese bake takes just under an hour to prepare and can serve up to six people. It’s packed with healthy wholegrain fusilli pasta and vegetables!
- The best chicken and sweetcorn pasta bake is simply that. An easy, delicious and satisfying chicken pasta bake that all the family will love!
Coming Thursday on Neil’s Healthy Meals
Next Thursday, following on from the success of my recent sticky peanut butter tofu stir-fry recipe that was inspired from our trip to Hong Kong earlier this year, I have another such recipe!
This time it’s in the form of a delicious curry, tofu spinach curry!
So until then, I hope you have a great weekend and can join me for that great new recipe.
Healthy Baked Macaroni With Broccoli Recipe
To go with this healthy baked macaroni with broccoli, I like to serve it either with a simple green side salad of lettuce, cucumber and spring onions.
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Healthy Baked Macaroni with Broccoli
Healthy baked macaroni with broccoli is an easy family casserole recipe. Made with whole wheat and low fat ingredients it’s delicious and healthier too!
- 175 g whole wheat macaroni
- 200 g broccoli cut into florets*
- 300 ml skimmed milk
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 100 g low fat grated cheddar cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 180C Fan.
Cook the macaroni in boiling salted water for 8 minutes then add the broccoli florets and cook for a further 2 minutes. Drain in a sieve and return to the pot.
- Whilst the macaroni is cooking add the milk, flour and mustard to a medium sized saucepan. Bring the mixture to the boil, then turn it down to simmer and whisk it thoroughly until you have a smooth and thickened white sauce. Then add 75g of the cheese and again whisk until smooth.
- Add the cheese sauce to the pot with the macaroni and broccoli and stir together well to combine.
- Pour the contents of the saucepan into an oven proof dish, sprinkle with the remaining cheese and place onto the middle shelf of your oven.
- Bake for approximately 15 – 20 minutes until the cheese has browned slightly and is bubbling.
- Serve with a green side salad of lettuce, cucumber and spring onions.
If using frozen broccoli allow it to defrost completely first.