This is a spin on the classic eggplant parmesan. We ditched the pasta for a 3 day fermented pizza dough. The classic version typically breads the eggplant, but since were making this on dough were skipping the breading and dropping on our eggplant sliced thin and raw.
We used both fresh and low moisture mozzarella to bring this pizza together. Toss on a handful of grated Romano when its coming out of the oven. We used a 400 gram dough ball and baked this on our Baking Steel Pro.
Classic Eggplant Parmesan Pizza
1 pizza dough
1 baby eggplant, cut into thin rounds
2 oz. no cook tomato sauce
2 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese, ripped in chunks
1 oz. fontina, shredded
fresh romano cheese
salt and pepper
1. Preheat your oven at 500F with your Baking Steel on the top rack for one hour.
2. Stretch or roll out your dough into a 12 inch cylinder, place on a pizza peel that has been dusted with flour. Switch oven to broil.
3. For the eggplant. Slice into thin rounds, about 1/8 inch thick. Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. Set aside.
4. Distribiute the tomato sauce over top, leaving about 1/4 inch from the edge. Sprinkle on some romano cheese. Next add the eggplant. Finally add both cheeses.
5. Launch onto your Baking Steel and set the timer for 90 seconds. Next open oven and rotate 180 degrees to promote even color on top. If you have a second Baking Steel move to bottom Steel. Switch oven back to convection bake. Continue to cook for 2 more minutes.
6. Remove and top with Romano cheese and fresh basil. Serve.