Perfectly crispy and vibrant Baked Lemon Pepper Wings are such a fun game day snack. Easy to bake and covered in a buttery and bright lemon pepper sauce, these chicken wings really pack a punch!
Chicken wings are the ultimate party snack. Crispy and juicy bites of fried chicken are so addictive and made even better when covered in sauce. The only downfall? Babysitting the deep fryer!
Forget about complicated fried chicken wing recipes and bake them instead! These Baked Lemon Pepper Wings can be prepped in just 5 minutes and are coated in a super simple sauce. Just like my sweet and spicy paleo chicken wings and BBQ chipotle wings, these baked wings always turn out crispy, juicy, and are so fun to eat.
After baking for just 30 minutes, these bright and peppery wings are coated in a homemade lemon pepper sauce. This really takes every bite to the next level! I also love how this citrusy sauce pairs so perfectly with fish, vegetables, pasta, and other chicken dinners, meaning you can easily make it a part of your weekly meals.
- It’s an easy baked chicken wing recipe that doesn’t require a messy baking powder or cornstarch coating.
- The bright, zesty, and peppery flavors of lemon pepper are a perfect match for chicken!
- Because it just isn’t game day without a platter of lemon pepper chicken wings.
- Chicken wings - Before getting started, separate the flats and drumettes if the chicken wings are attached.
- Oil - Avocado oil or olive oil are lightly sprayed on the wings before they go in the oven to help them crisp and turn out juicy.
- Lemon pepper sauce - This tangy and peppery sauce is easy to make with melted butter, lemon zest, lemon juice, black pepper, and garlic powder.
Step 1: Prep the wings. Place the wings on a foil-lined baking sheet. Lightly spray them with oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, then bake.
Step 2: Make the sauce. While the wings are baking, whisk the butter, lemon juice, lemon zest, pepper, garlic powder, and salt together in a large bowl.
Step 3: Coat in sauce. Transfer the baked chicken wings to the bowl with the sauce and stir to coat.
Step 4: Serve and enjoy. Place the saucy wings on a platter, pour or brush the leftover sauce on top, and enjoy!
Expert tips and FAQs
- Dry the chicken wings really well with paper towels to help the oil, salt, and pepper stick.
- For added lemon pepper flavor, sprinkle the raw wings with storebought lemon pepper seasoning before they go in the oven.
- Serve the wings with extra sauce, chipotle aioli, or ranch dressing for dipping!
- Make the lemon pepper sauce a part of your weekly dinners. The bright and citrusy flavors pair so well with fish, chicken, and vegetables.
What does lemon pepper taste like?
Lemon pepper sauce has bursts of tangy and tart citrus with just a touch of spice from the black pepper. The seasonings are stirred together in melted butter, giving the finished sauce a luscious and creamy texture.
Is lemon pepper spicy?
Not at all! The black pepper in the sauce only gives these wings a very subtle bite.
Are lemon pepper wings dry or wet?
These lemon pepper wings are wet because they’re coated in sauce after they’re baked.
Can you make baked chicken wings in the air fryer instead?
To air fry chicken wings, prepare them as normal and lay them in an even layer in the air fryer basket (working in batches if necessary). Cook at 360ºF for 15 to 20 minutes, then flip and increase the heat to 400ºF for 5 minutes.
- Make ahead: Save a little time by whisking the lemon pepper sauce together 2 to 3 days ahead of time. Keep it in a sealed jar in the fridge until it’s time to coat the baked wings.
- Refrigerator: Store any leftover baked wings in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 to 5 days.
- Reheating: The wings are best reheated in a 400ºF oven to retain their crispiness.
More game day snacks
If you made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below. Thanks!
Baked Lemon Pepper Wings
- 2 lb. chicken wings
- olive oil spray
- salt and pepper
for the sauce:
- 3 tablespoon butter melted
- 1 small lemon juice and zest
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°. Line a baking sheet with foil, then place the wings on top. Lightly spray them with the olive oil spray, sprinkle with salt and pepper then bake them for 30 minutes (no need to flip!).
- While the wings are baking, make the sauce: whisk butter, lemon zest, lemon juice, black pepper, garlic powder, and salt together in a large bowl.
- Once the wings are done (they should be nice and crispy!), transfer them to the bowl with the sauce; stir to coat.
- Transfer the wings to a serving plate and pour or brush any leftover sauce on top. Enjoy!